St. Philomena’s Church is a church built in honor of St. Philomena in the city of Mysuru. It was constructed in 1956 using a Neo Gothic style and its architecture was inspired by the Cologne Cathedral in Germany.
In 1926, Sir T. Thumboo Chetty who was the Huzur Secretary to the Maharaja of Mysuru, Nalvadi Krishnaraja Wodeyar, obtained a relic of the saint Philomena, after writing to Peter Pisani, Apostolic Delegate of the East Indies.
This relic was handed over to Father Cochet who approached the king to assist him in constructing a church in honor of St. Philomena. The Maharaja of Mysore laid the foundation stone of the church on 28 October 1933. In his speech on the day of the inauguration, the Maharaja is said to have quoted, “The new church will be strongly and securely built upon a double foundation — Divine compassion and the eager gratitude of men…
” The construction of the church was completed under Bishop Rene Fuga’s supervision. The relic of St. Philomena is preserved in a catacomb below the main altar.
St. Bartholomew’s Church, was built on the land donated by the Maharaja of Mysore, Krishnaraja Wodeyar III (1799-1868), and it was consecrated in 1830. The church was constructed in 1832 with contributions from military officers and civilians. In 1847, the church was affiliated to the Anglican denomination and was handed over to the Madras Government in 1852.
Infant Jesus Shrine is located at Pushpashrama in Naidu Nagar some five kilometres from Mysore palace. The gateway of the church stands 30 feet high There is a grotto on the right side containing a life-stized statue of Infant Jesus. The church is built in an octagonal diamond shape with granite stne.
There are three huge teakwood doors to enter the church. There are carvings of St.Teresa and ST.John on the right side door. The left side entrance has carvings of St.Therese and ST.Edith Sterin. The altar has a globe and a tree. The church has fourteen stained windows decorated with beautiful pictures. There is a small chapel on the back of the church on the mezzaine floor.
St. Philomena’s Church Timings.
The church remains open from 5:00 AM to 6:00 PM on all days of the week. The mass is held in the morning from 5:00 AM to 9:00 AM and in the evening from 6:00 PM to 6:30 PM on weekdays.
You must be logged in to post a comment.